72nd DGU Congress turns into Best of DGU 2020
In March 2020, the German government declared a temporary lockdown due to the COVID-19 pandemic. At this point, the planning process for the DGU annual meeting has already been in full swing for nine months:
- The abstract submission process was completed
- The scientific program was 90% done
- The booth allocation for industry partners was set
We had no idea how the situation will develop until the congress in September – so the question was how to continue?
Brainstorming processes at Interplan lead to the development of different scenarios which were intensively discussed with the DGU. Which option is the best: to postpone, cancel, go hybrid or totally virtual?
In June 2020, the final decision was taken: the DGU national annual meeting will take place as a virtual congress, recorded on-site in a professional studio setting uniting 165 speakers at the CCL Congress Center in Leipzig. In order to provide the online audience with a pleasant congress experience, the program will be restructured into "Best of DGU". Industry partners will have the opportunity to present themselves in a virtual 2D industrial exhibition, accompanied by 13 live and remote industry symposia on the virtual platform. A lot of interaction, lecture and film sessions as well as the designing conference on demand, became the new orders of the day!
Time to speed up – only three months to go and a lot to do!
Selection of partners by Interplan and allocation of tasks:
CCL Congress Center Leipzig
- Set-up of two studios for live streaming
- Design of correspondent hygiene measures, e.g. enough space, smart guidance, regulations for masks and disinfection, adjusted provision of catering
- Provision of the scientific congress platform and media library
- Production of the live stream onsite
- Set-up of the 2D industry exhibition, interactive lobby and areas with additional digital activities
- Project and technical management and coordination of all tasks and parties involved, delegate and speaker management, logistics onsite, sales, marketing, organisation of the evening event, hotline and virtual helpdesk
A really successful virtual event with a very good communication and presentation of scientific content and great acceptance by the participants!
The delegate evaluation reflected that the virtual implementation with speakers onsite was very well received and that one can partly imagine a hybrid congress in the future.
Best of DGU 24 - 26 September 2020
- 3 413 registered participants
- 165 speakers onsite
- 57 exhibitors
- 1 200 viewers on average
- 50 employees needed for the realisation of the live congress onsite and remotely
We have eagerly accepted the given challenge. Despite constant development and increasing technical possibilities, the central questions always remain the same: Who do we want to reach and what do we want to achieve?
Regarding a successful planning and realisation of innovations, the spotlight needs to be dedicated to the optimal strategies which fit both the requirements of the event and the customer. An event is considered a success when participants are delighted about their congress experience and content was transferred smoothly.
This target was successfully met, thanks to focused planning, a trustful and intensive cooperation with the DGU and all partners! We are really looking forward to upcoming challenges!